I live in the creative, fast-paced intersection between technology, marketing, and management. It’s a bit of a tightrope walk. One day I’m sketching out wireframes and discussing docker framework with full stack developers as we manage more than 30 websites together. The next I’m brainstorming creative marketing campaigns with program directors and executives charged with 20% growth goals year over year. As a Website Marketing Manager, I walk that line every day while co-leading a team of staff and interns at the University of Utah’s David Eccles School of Business.
Website UX + Strategy
I was recruited to manage the websites at the University of Utah's David Eccles School of Business in 2016, with the initial goal of migrating the sites from Drupal to WordPress. I was new to higher ed, so I spent hours benchmarking against top business school websites and creating a big picture road map. I worked closely with our web developer to design an architecture that would create a unified look and feel, while allowing programs to have their own content and navigation. Then I spent long days and nights migrating content, re-writing copy, re-shooting photos, and writing SEO in our WordPress sandbox. Three months after I started, we launched Eccles.Utah.edu. Not only was our new site responsive and optimized, but we earned a 41% increase in site visits within one year.
Since that day, we have launched and re-launched all of our 30+ websites more than 50 times. I thrive working in an iterative, collaborative environment, and I am constantly looking for ways to improve our presence.
Marketing Strategy + Execution
I understand business goals and the pressure to continually compete against the very best. When I’m not working on websites, I meet with directors to discuss their business goals. Some come to the table with a clear idea for a marketing campaign. Others come in with nothing. Regardless, it’s up to me to figure out what they need and how best to execute and deliver for them. No matter their business size or budget, each project is important to them, so they each get my full commitment, strategic direction and creativity to help them be successful.
Recently one of our smaller programs came to me for assistance with recruitment with a budget of $2,500. We launched a paid advertising campaign and conducted daily analysis to optimize ads, increase lead quality and continually improve results. As a result of the campaign, six people applied to the program and to the Eccles School – an estimated 11,394% return on our investment.
Management + Leadership
Ten years in marketing has taught me that clear communication is just as important with my team as it is to clients and as such, I have learned how to empathize and communicate with many different personality types. This has ultimately led to some of my proudest moments - bringing ‘silo-ed’ teams into one collaborative space to accomplish a challenging goal together.
One of the most rewarding parts of my current job is co-managing a fantastic team of staff and interns. Together, the Associate Director of Marketing and I have more than doubled our team in two years. I mentor each of my direct reports monthly, offering guidance for sticky political situations, and if needed, supporting them in those situations. I’m a team player, through and through.
Sometimes the fastest way to learn is to jump in the deep end, and my work at Colle+McVoy was no exception. I started on a team of project managers supporting the agency's largest account, worth $11 million annually, and with seven lines of business. After one year, I was promoted and began to take on nationwide digital, social, broadcast, and print campaigns for Purina Veterinary Diets, Explore Minnesota Tourism, and Land O'Lakes.
Grit and Positivity
Working for non-profits has offered me opportunities to learn a wide breadth of roles and responsibilities. As such, I have had opportunities to partake in a variety of roles from leading trainings and speaking at events, to staying late to proofread an RFP or set up chairs at an event. I know what ‘all hands on deck’ means and I love being involved in every part of the creative process.
Passion for Learning
Ever since I was nine years old and my parents started taking away my books as a punishment, I have loved learning. Fast forward twenty years and I create to-do lists, spreadsheets, and budgets - for fun. I am currently pursuing my Masters of Science in Information Systems and though I don’t sneak books to bed anymore, I have fully accepted and embraced my nerd within.
David Eccles School of Business | University of Utah
02.2016 - Present
- Lead the design, user experience (UX) and strategy for all Eccles School websites, earning a 41% increase in organic sessions and 22% increase in organic pages per session in two years
- Develop, interpret, and execute clear marketing strategies and tactical campaigns for school-wide programs, owning implementation from ideation to execution and reporting
- Lead and manage four direct reports, guiding and mentoring staff and interns through sticky political situations, and if needed, supporting them in those situations
Social Media Influencer
General Mills, Inc
09.2013 – 07.2015
- Crafted video and photo content for Nature Valley Granola Bars to help increase Instagram followers by 25% and increase engagement by 33%
Colle + McVoy Advertising Agency
01.2013 - 01.2015
- Managed award-winning print, digital, and brand campaigns for WinField, Explore Minnesota Tourism, Purina Veterinary Diet, and Land O’Lakes, using scrum framework
- Forecasted work and provided creative solutions when problems arose, minimizing impact on quality, cost, and schedule
- Tracked progress and created reports in MS Project
Embracing Children Adoption Services
12.2011 – 01.2013
- Conceptualized, planned, and directed a large scale fundraising event with 272% return on investment (ROI)
- Directed full organizational rebrand including logo, messaging, and web presence
- Optimized organization's website, rewriting content for more than 60 webpages, leading to a 24% increase in web sessions
- Developed messaging standards on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn, increasing reach by 40%
- Recruited and managed two design interns
MLT Group Advertising Agency
10.2009 – 03.2011
- Client facing lead project manager, overseeing more than 100 brand, web, SEO, and print projects
- Created social media strategies and brand guidelines for clients
AmeriCorps VISTA* Marketing Associate
Ashoka's Youth Venture
09.2008 - 09.2009
- Recruited and mentored teenagers to launch their own non-profits
- Co-directed inaugural fundraising event, managing peers, recruiting sponsorships and donations, and exceeding monetary goal by 28%
- Learned HTML and used it to update company website
- Wrote press releases, print publications, and contributed to monthly e-newsletter
Masters of Science: Information Systems
University of Utah | Exp. 05.2019
Emphases: Software + Systems Architecture, Business Intelligence + Analytics
Bachelor of Arts: Strategic Communication, Advertising
University of Minnesota | 05.2008
Higher Ed Web Association
User Experience Design